dimanche 24 mai 2015

Plymouth (3): That First Rock

View from the colums protecting Plymouth Rock. I amso glad I got to see so many founding places of the United States this year, and really learn more about that topic. I was very fortunately located to do so and loved every moment of learning, especially when done in such scenic places like here in Plymouth. How beautiful is the view?

Après la fermeture de la plantation, je me suis promenée dans Plymouth, et sur la côte. La réplique du May Flower n'était pas visible, car actuellement en restauration, mais le célèbre "Plymouth Rock", cette grosse pierre sur laquelle les colons auraient posé le pied en premier en sortant de leur bateau, était elle bien présente dans son pompeux monument  à la grecque du 19ème siècle. 





Plymouth Rock.





La colline surplombant le port, et le chemin côtier abritent quant à eux de nombreux monuments relatant les grands moments de la vie des premiers colons : épidémies, construction de la première église, pourparlers avec les Indiens...




I was so excited when I saw the name "Constance Hopkins" on this monument. When maybe 12, I read Patricia Clapp's "Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth", a somewhar romanticized but thrilling fictional diary of said Constance. Amazon reviews seem to suggest the novel loses its charms when re-read by adults, so I'll just fondly remember it as a captivating summer read and be excited. After all, it's not every day that you (almost) get to meet your book heros.








 Ce monument est dédié aux victimes du "Premier Hiver" de la colonie, où froid, malnutrition et maladies décimèrent des familles entières :
First Winter Monument, in remembrance of those who did not survive the cold and epidemics of the first harsh winter in America.



1 commentaire:

  1. More amazing photos. The rock story is now believed to be largely a myth but symbolic just the same. That's all that's left after rude people chipped it away. I When 10, I read Patricia Clapp's "Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth", and I was Constance in the school Thanksgiving play/feast. I was so excited to meet her when we took a trip to Plimoth Plantation. I'll take your advice and not reread it. I see my ancestor, Elizabeth Tilley, right there in the middle. She was about 14 and lost all 4 adults in her family that first winter. Lucky for her, the governor took her in and she later married fellow passenger John Howland. Their descendants include poets, presidents, Valentine cards creator, actors, and many normal people.

    RépondreSupprimer